Friday, May 2, 2008

Florida, the beautiful



I am sitting in my hotel room in Dade City, FL, right now thinking about how much I love it here. There are many points of fabulosity that make Florida great. I am sure there are other locations in the US that could match, or possibly even exceed, how spectacular it is here. I haven't been to any. That isn't saying much, considering I could count the list of states I've visited on my hands, but Florida is spectacular.

Here are the reasons I love Florida:

- Spacious skies. That aren't polluted. At least, not here in Tampa...not yet.
- When you drive on I75 to get from Tampa to Dade City, the vegetation is so thick along the freeway, you can't see farther than 5 feet past the shoulder of the road. Everything is so extremely green and lush.
- Temperate coastal climates. Today was 80 degrees and sunny. It was humid, but that just adds to my joy because my hair and skin feel soft, smooth and healthy.
- Southern hospitality. Everyone here is so nice! Everywhere I go, people smile and say "hi" for no reason. I've been called "miss" a lot. I'm not a fan of "ma'am" but I haven't gotten that once yet.
- Cultural diversity. No Ritz effect here. There are so many people from so many various ethnic and racial backgrounds, and yet a sense of community.
- Florida is big, but it's not that big. Aside from Miami, Florida doesn't have a "large" market. It feels very "small town" but without living in the middle of nowhere. It's a relatively short drive from one side of the state to the other and Tampa and Orlando are only a little over an hour apart.

I have to say that I could definitely live in Florida. At least, for awhile. I am sure if I were away from Utah for too long, I would start to get homesick. Of course, if I started to get homesick, I could walk out onto my back patio, take a deep breath of clean, warm, healthy, humid air and remind myself that I live in a state where it will be 60-90 degrees all year long. On the other hand, there's always hurricanes with which to contend. Yikes!

OH...did I mention that Superbowl 2009 is taking place right here in Tampa? Add that to my reasons for loving Florida!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.